Saturday, April 3, 2010

Home-coming!

http://www.holtinternational.org/adoption/lg.recru.shtml
This will be us in a couple of months!!!!!

When I watched this video- I cried. (of course)

We are SO looking forward to this day!!

I have to admit though, I am getting a little anxious. Not a lot....but a little. I know that it will be a difficult transition for this little girl (I think we've almost decided on her name....will keep you posted on that. until then, I will refer to her as "Ji"...that is her given last name.) Ji is in foster care right now & I can't imagine how hard it will be for her to leave that family & come here to the states with us. A new language, new foods, new care takers, new home, new big sister Addalie (who will most likely overwhelm her w/her excitement.) Ji will be almost 2 years old when she gets here....Sometimes, I turn the tables & think of Addalie & how much she needs consistency & schedules etc. -& think how would it be for her to leave her "comforts" --that's how it will be for Ji...But I also KNOW that God is faithful. He is bringing this little girl into our home!! He is preparing Ji's heart & our hearts too.

Also, one of the main topics in some of our adoption education classes was about attachment. It is such a BIG piece to adoptions...& I won't get into all of it, but we have been told over & over that it may be a difficult transition. Typically (not always) adopted children attach to one parent over the other....& especially at the beginning won't even let the "other" parent hold them.

I am trying to prepare myself for what is ahead....Probably not much of a break for a long long time. Probably not much sleep at night for a long long time. (I recently talked to someone who said their daughter just started sleeping "normally" at night after 2 1/2 years of being in their home--those same people also said that their daughter (4 yrs. old) cried every time the mom left the room for almost 2 years.) And, we are told that these examples are "normal" with attachment...not the exception.

SO-yes, we C A N N O T wait!!! & at the same time, I am already looking to the Lord for strength in what is to come! How kind of Him to give us Ji!!!! =))

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

got chills. thinking of the day you will meet your little girl. oh my!
so happy for you. anxious to meet her.

we are praying.

sentz said...

ang- i watched with tears too thinking about you going and meeting Ji and seeing her face to face the first time, holding her, and taking her home. God is faithful and He will bring it to pass! (1thes 5:24)He will meet you in all the new situations and in the waiting.

Shelly said...

It was so good to be with your family last night. We'll have to hang out more often! Thanks for the fun egg hunt too. Between that and your mom's fun pail of things for D, he has been supplied with breakfast & lunch (egg & toast, and an egg sandwich), another little candy snack mid-morning, and playing all over the yard with the new toys. Fun for him and me! =) We're also very excited for you guys and your new little girl. We will be praying for you in this waiting time as well as the adjustments yet to come. Blessings.

Unknown said...

okay. so i am crying too. i just cannot imagine all the emotions for you guys, and for her foster parents, handing her over for the last time. agh. it breaks my heart. overjoyed for you, and her...of course...but just so many emotions. what a great song! have a great week. mis.

lifeinanothertown said...

i sat here and just cried watching that video!!!my sister said something the other day about addopting children(even having them) she said "my child did not choose me,i chose my child therefore he.she owes me nothing..i owe them the world!"i thought that was so neat and seeing those people "choosing " there children-it made me think of that all over again!God bless you guys as u continue this process

Jena said...

oh, Ang! I haven't been over to your blog in a while...
Please know that I am just up the road if you ever need to just call someone up who "gets it" and cry OR rejoice(I mean now, or after Ji comes home :)

I remember Khai being a charmer when we first came home, and I remember being so happy when he first started being "strange" because it meant that he was forming attachments to Shel and I...
(no one at church quite understood why I was so happy when he cried when other people held him :)
I know Ji will be way older than Khai when he came home... but I honestly look back on those months and months and months of rocking and rocking and rocking and thinking he would NEVER EVER sleep all night, I look back and think of those times not only as some of the sweetest in my parenting life, but some of my sweetest in my prayer life...praying for all my children, praying for Khai's first family... What can you do but pray when you are rocking your child for HOURS at night?(who will wake up if you put them down, or even really move at all)

Even just remembering and writing about it brings back memories that make tears well up in my eyes....

Those first months of being home with Khai taught me SO MUCH about patience, grace, and relying on God daily for all that I needed, not only for Khai but for Bailey and Sam.... they taught me TRULY to live in each moment and be SO GRATEFUL for the little joys...

(once again, writing a book on your blog!!!)

Anywho, so excited for you guys, and while I do know it will be challenging(and even hard) at times, God is in it, and where He is, there is joy and rest, no matter what.

Blog Archive