Sunday, September 19, 2010

Home

We arrived home on Friday.  Scott's parents graciously took off of work & drove up to JFK to pick us up! 
Our trip home was L O N G!!  (none of us feel the need to get on an airplane for the next 10 years of our life)  We had a 3 hr. flight in China & then a 13 hour flight from China-New York.  We had lots of difficulty at the airport in China...& at one point Scott honestly didn't think we were going to make it home. 
Things w/Jyla were also very difficult!  When we were traveling she TOTALLY refused me.  I couldn't even look at her...or she'd lose it.  So Scott had to hold her the entire flight!  Poor guy- he really needed a break!  (& thankfully Jyla was OK with my mom holding her for a little....so he could rest a time or two.)  But this was really really hard on me emotionally. 
Jyla wouldn't play w/Addalie if I was sitting in the seat beside her...etc. 
I had a sobbing moment on the plane....

But after 28 hours of traveling....we walked into our home! 
I was so exhausted by the end of the trip...that my photo taking skills were "gone"!  But thankfully my mother-in-law snapped a few at the airport!  =)



When we got home we were greeted by SO MUCH LOVE!!  Our fridge was stocked w/all of our favorite foods (from D & T & our market crew!)  There were also lots of signs & balloons & gifts etc.

We are thankful to be at home. 

However, I must say, things have been difficult!  (& the only reason that my husband isn't making me who is completely sleep-deprived, go to bed right now is because I told him that I was going to blog & "ask" for prayers! 

Jyla hasn't been sleeping....thus, keeping all of us (addalie included) awake with her screaming! 
We all have very very crazy jet-lag.  Coming home is so much harder then flying East. 
Last night Jyla didn't settle until 4:30 AM....By that time Addalie was traumatized because Jyla had been crying so loud for so long....& I had to sleep with her to settle her...while Scott "tried" to sleep with Jyla.  (the same things happened the night before) So as you can imagine, I am SO ready to sleep in my own bed!!!!!!!!
(maybe tonight??)
Our prayer request would specifically be for Jyla & sleeping.  Even naps are hard.  I can't put her to sleep...She just screams & screams...only Scott can....& then that is if he is sleeping with her.  So I'm not sure what is going to happen in a few days when Scott is at market....both w/naps & bedtime.  He doesn't get home on Fri. night till 11pm. 

Scott & I feel very weak & not sure how to handle some of the situations.  We pray for wisdom & grace & patience. 

We are seeing God's grace to us through friends & family.  Thank you to all of you who are making us meals in the next few weeks!!! 
Since Jyla isn't really napping it feels like there aren't any breaks to think about other things...so meals are helpful!!! 
Well, I hear Jyla crying again.  Scott is trying to settle her....I should go see if I can "help"? 
He has been such a ROCK through all of these transitions! 

16 comments:

Jenn said...

Cliff and I don't know you guys that well, even though we go to the same church, but I wanted to let you know that we will be praying for you--that God would allow you to rest, and that he would give Jyla sweet sleep that comes easily! Thanks for sharing your story. :)

Shar said...

Praying, praying, and praying...thinking of you guys so much. PLEASE let me know if Addalie wants to come hang out here at all...our kids would love to have her for an afternoon! xoxo Shar and family

Anonymous said...

I actually awoke from my sleep with you on my mind. So I decided to check the blog. Happily you updated, but sad that the adjustments for Jyla are tough. Praying each of you get the rest that you need. Please call if you need anything. Perhaps Addalie would enjoy a sleepover. Let me know.

Anonymous said...

Forgot to sign the last comment...Pauline

cynthia haughery said...

I will be praying, Angie. THIS WILL CHANGE. It will. She will become comfortable in her new home and with you. I will pray for grace to ride it out.

Love you all so much,
Cynthia

cynthia haughery said...

I will be praying, Angie. THIS WILL CHANGE. It will. She will become comfortable in her new home and with you. I will pray for grace to ride it out.

Love you all so much,
Cynthia

Anonymous said...

adding any new baby or child into the family is always an adjustment, but i am sure your situation is that much more complex. i will be praying for this stage and season. for peace, smooth adjustments, strength and patience.

Anonymous said...

ps - and REST!

Kendra said...

Thanks so much for updating us in the midst of sheer exhaustion! We are praying for you and for strength in your weakness. May you feel the nearness of God even when things are falling apart. This is a season....things WILL get better! Love you guys!!!! Praying for peace and sleep...LOTS of it!!!

Becky said...

oh sweet ang, i am so sorry this is so difficult. i am praying that you will feel God's nearness and comfort as you struggle through these days and nights of adjustment.

Vern Smoker said...

Lifting you up in prayer today for sure. Thanks so much for allowing us to be a part of your journey through your blog. It really helps to know how to pray. I have the most highest respect for you and Scott! Hang in there! love ya!

Jessica said...

We're praying for you and your family, my friend. Just think of this as your "newborn" period. All that sleep you lose at the beginning, but it does pass and you will all find a routine. We will continue to pray and send our love!

Jess

Mindi Bruckhart said...

Thanks for the update! I will be praying for you guys!!

Jeane` said...

BLESS YOUR HEART.
10 minutes of a baby crying is equivalent to 10 hours in my book...and when you have NO idea how to help calm (and on SO little sleep) I truly cannot imagine how difficult and FRUSTRATING that must be!!! I WILL COMPLETELY KEEP YOU in prayer. And truly, my heart broke for you as I read about Jyla's refusal of you on the plane. it must have been so hard not to take personally. I just wish I could give you a BIG hug, and stay up for 1 night for you, give you ear plugs and a soung machine so at least you could get your bearings with a little sleep!!!

...Still So happy to hear you are ALL home, safe (even if not real sound).

Much love,
Jeane`

Unknown said...

we would love to take our turn with the little screamer so you ALL can get some sleep. :) sure that could add some more trauma to precious little jyla...hoping your new normal will soon come to be...and if nothing else all your favorite foods are tasting extra good. :) we love you. mis.

The McKays said...

I haven't commented yet, but felt this was a good moment to. I'm good friends with Tina (we met in Bible college in 1997) and she shared your blog with our group a few weeks ago as you began your China adventure. I must day I've loved following your updates and seeing pics of your sweet family. I cannot imagine the complexity of joy and struggles you are facing, but our God is "able to do beyond all we ask or think." As I'm up in middle-of-the-night feedings (our newest is 7 weeks old), I pray for you all often. May tonight be one of breakthrough and REST for each member of your family. And may you all be able to walk moment-by-moment in this new and wonderful-but-oh-so-challenging season of life. Warmly, Suzanne

Blog Archive