Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Girl Talk Blog

The girl talk blog is one that I check regularly & am often encouraged or challenged by. It is affiliated with Sovereign Grace Ministries (our family of churches). A mother & her 3 grown daughters post on it every weekday. Currently, they are talking about "busy seasons" in life & since I am smack dab in the middle of one of those....(is it just a season???) I thought I'd share the post. Hope it helps some of you. To read more go to http://www.girltalk.blogs.com/

Managing Busy Seasons
My life feels like one big--and wonderful--interruption at the moment. It’s a whirlwind of diapers, crying, spit-up, nursing, and laundry. There was a breakthrough this morning: my bed got made. Yeah! Although, come to think of it, I just remembered a load of laundry that is still sitting in the washer from yesterday.
Unexpected busy seasons--like a new baby, the start of the school year, final exams, travel, or a deadline at work--often leave us wondering what should and shouldn’t get done. My mom has given my sisters and me three simple principles to help us navigate really busy seasons, and I hope they will serve you too.
First of all, Separate the really-do-matter items from the really-don’t-matter items. Then take care of the really-do-matter items first. For example, when we hit hectic seasons as homemakers, Mom has taught us girls that after sitting at Jesus’ feet, we should attend to three priorities before anything else:
(1) Our husband: “What one thing would please my husband the most?”
(2) Our children: “What one issue in my child’s life needs consistent attention?”
(3) Our food and laundry: “Regardless of how dirty my house is, or how many piles of clutter have accumulated, or whether or not the beds are made--as long as my family has nourishing food to eat and clean clothes to wear, their basic needs will be taken care of.”
So if you presently find yourself in a busy season, stop for a few moments and separate; and then forget about those “really-don’t-matter” items for right now. "

-Janelle Bradshaw

2 comments:

Jena said...

this is great advice! thanks for posting this.

Jeane` said...

Hello, Ang!
Thank you for YOUR encouraging comment on my blog...and for thinking of me! While the days are quite 'full', they are, so far, manageable. Again, we live a very simple lifestyle, not involved really in any 'progams', and so it is do-able. Thank the Lord for naptime...I'm not sure what I'd do without it. (that, and an early 7:30-8pm bedtime for the children).
But no matter the number of children, when they are young it is a busy season for a mom! Your little Addalie (i know I'm spelling it wrong) is just so precious. It's obvious she has two wonderful, capable and loving parents...and I've often heard that loving each other is the most loving thing you can do for your child.(And it's clear you do that too!). Happy Anniversary! Thanks for putting up with my rambling thoughts!
Jeane`

Blog Archive